Board meeting, From The Board, Minutes, MORE News -

May 2016 MORE BoD’s Meeting Minutes

MORE Board Meeting: Monday, May 9, 2016

Location: REI Tyson’s Corner

Time: 7-9PM

Board Members Present:

  1. Ernie Rodriguez
  2. Rob Lowe
  3. Aaron Richter
  4. Russ Adams
  5. Jason Miller
  6. Greg Dwyer

MORE Staff/Members Present:

  1. Steve DonTingny
  2. Jonah Meyer
  3. Jonathan Kidwell
  4. Brad Hawk

Introduction of MORE Executive Director

  • Steve DonTigny is MORE’s new Executive Director. Steve has background with Non-Profit Membership Development, Fulfillment and Customer Service.
  • Committed to growing membership and involvement in the organization. See Bio on MORE website.

Review of NOVA Reimbursement

  • Trails committee will be anticipating a grant request for Lake Fairfax project.

 CiviCRM Training Update

  • MORE Board Members have been offered training to learn Civi CRM, the platform used for accessing and utilizing the membership database. Greg, Jason, and Jonah indicated interest in receiving the training.


  • Ernie is working with Jason Ashmore to update all member, staff, and BOD email addresses.

Activities Update

  • Russ Adams is working on possible MORE summer “Gathering” at Shenandoah State Park. There will not be a singularly MORE sponsored summer picnic.
  • MORE will participate in Emmittsburg’s Community Heritage Day on June 25th–Russ and Brad will follow up on next steps.
  • Bryce will follow up on a summer day-out at a local VA ski resort/bike park.
  • Activity Reports will be posted along/in the monthly meeting minutes. Greg & Russ to coordinate on this.

MORE 2016 Jerseys

  • 70 items ordered.  Will be shipped May 26th and delivered late May. Jason Miller will work on setting up Happy Hour events & locations for distribution to members.

Membership / Communication

  • BOD and Executive Director unanimously agreed on the need to improve email and communication to/for members. Changes to Facebook needed. Brad Hawk will create Facebook group (in addition to the MORE Organization Facebook Group), with assistance from Greg Dwyer.
  • MORE’s Constant Contact groups will need to be updated.

Fulfillment Update

  • Ernie to order additional sMORE’s and MORE stickers.  Should be available to distribute at Tour de Fat (21 May 2016).
  • BOD agreed on need to distribute Swag to members. Ernie will send out surveys.
  • New PLB (Parking Lot Beer) Cups needed: Jason and Rob will work on this.
  • General membership give-a-ways: Ernie to send to Surveys
  • Donor recognition & gifts: Ernie to send Surveys (see meeting item on Sponsorship)

MD Trails Update

  • Patuxent: Walk through coming up next week, but no final approval as of yet.
  • Loch Raven (Purple Trail): Loch Raven committee is working on getting Right of Way access.  Need to follow up with local community about current status before end of June so we are in compliance w/the current list of proposals. Waiting on Final letter of approval from DPW to start Phase 2.

Virginia Trails Update

  • Working on National Trails Day June 4 event at Occoquan Regional Park
  • Lake Fairfax Pump Track final approval pending – Waiting on Rough Grading Plan (sewer line)
  • Lake Accotink – Meeting on Master Plan this Monday (May 16th)
  • Prince William Forest – Committee has put together a draft plan to convert some existing trails to mountain bike trails
  • June 11 is the ribbon cutting, trail work and official opening of the Fountainhead to Bull Run Marina trail

Ride Coordinator

  • Working on getting rides organized on weekends in addition to currently organized weeknight rides
  • Many Board members have committed to leading weekend rides
  • Working with REI to outdoor school rides added to MORE Calendar: Brad Hawk has action and Jonah Meyer will assist.

Upcoming events

  • Dirtfest 2016: 19-22 May at Raystown Lake in PA. Ernie and Steve will attend
  • REI College Park Women Bike Night Out May 18 – Jo and Holly will serve as point of contact for MORE
  • Bike to Work Day: 20 May
  • Tour De Fat, Washington D.C.: 21 May

Trail Status Update

  • Web and Twitter: Rob Lowe is investigating automatic updates to members.

Quarterly MORE Newsletter

  • Jason Miller and Greg Dwyer will collaborate with Steve DonTingny to manage member communications. 


  • Jonah Meyer has put together initial sponsorship package. BOD will review and comment for discussion at April Board meeting.
  • Need to update who MORE is and what our goals/objectives are. BOD will send input to Jonah for coordination.
  • Board members will send Jonah any comments on Sponsorship Packages.
  • Steve DonTingny is responsible for Fundraising with assistance from BoD’s.


MORE BOD/Staff Activities Report for April 2016:

President – Ernest Rodriguez

  • CFC thank you’s
  • Membership renewal thank you’s
  • Working with Larry Cautilli on Property assessment for private land owner in Alexandria
  • Working on updating Distribution list
  • Following up on:
    • Tour-de-Fat social media postings
    • NOVA Trail Fest – June 4
    • REI Women’s Bike Night Out – College Park May 18
  • Membership trends
  • SWAG – stickers ordered for MORE and sMORE’s
  • Need additional SWAG
  • Discuss Patapsco Trail Fest membership incentive (discount)
  • DirtFest attendance

Vice President – Rob Lowe

  • Outreach at rides, shops, and at trails/workdays and social events (Meetup).
  • Review of trail info continues for soon/future updates.
  • Ride leadership.
  • Beginner Rider Clinic planning continued
  • Working on updating Distribution list

Treasurer – Aaron Richter

Operations – Greg Dwyer

Trails Director – Dave Magill

  • Continued working with trailboss to get tools ordered and delivered.  $1670 RTP grant paperwork done and all items ordered.
  • Working with Chris Garrett and Jim McNeely to assess inquiry from American Chestnut Land Trust in Calvert County to possibly build and maintain trails on their land. Unfortunately most of their lands are designated Wildlands so not open to bikes
  • MoCo trail priorities and new trail alignments for reroutes and new trail for the Epic, with trail building staff and Rick Meyer
  • Continued work with Austin Steo and Aaron on collecting $40k loan.  $37.7 should be received within 2-3 weeks.
  • Working with Eric Crawford to get all approvals in place to allow use of the Patapsco Reinvestment Funds as working capital for TrailFest.

Member Representative  – Jason Miller

Activities Director – Russ Adams


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published