August 2020 Board Meeting Minutes
MORE Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
August 11, 2020, 7pm
Location: Virtual Due to COVID-19 Restrictions (Zoom)
- Ernie Rodriguez - President
- Peggy Flaxman - Executive Director
- Tom Howe - VA Advocacy Director
- Rob Lowe - Membership Director
- Sharon Maloid - Activities Director
- David Beugelmans - Vice President
- Dave Magill - MD Advocacy Director
- Neil Blake - Treasurer
- Mauricio Carvalho - Trail Boss
Financial Updates (Neil)
General - decrease of $4.1k
- $2.8k revenues from various sources including an increase in activity from Trailforks
- $6.9K of expenses, $4.5K of ED costs, $800 for Swag, and various other misc costs
Restricted - increase of $1.8k
- $5.7k of revenues ($4.3k for Wakefield and various others)
- $3.9k of expenses ($2.8k Wakefield, various others)
- $213.3k restricted
- $191.1k general funds
- Membership Updates (Rob)
- Good month for memberships. Our numbers are up over last year.
- July 2020 was a good month, with membership numbers crawling up.
- 1404 Total Members as of August 4. We continue to climb.
- 33 new joins in July.
- Money-wise we are up almost $10K compared to the same point in 2019. And over $15k compared to 2018. (39.3K vs 29.4k vs 24.2K). Hopefully the trend of May-June-July continues, and we beat August and September numbers.
- Our Auto Renewing Monthly and Annual Members now make up nearly 1/3rd of our Membership budget off of 1/4 of our Members or 21% of Paying Members.
- Our Generous Members over $100 or more make up again a bit over 1/3rd our Membership out of 154 Pay Members appx 11%. Some of these 2 lists do overlap a bit of course.
- How will the FCT Changes and Cancelling of MoCo Epic and offering a Virtual Event impact things? Only time will tell.
- David B raised concept of pushing monthly subscriptions via online adds. General consensus to move forward.
- General - decrease of $4.1k
- BOD Elections (Rob/Ernie)
- We need to think about who is up for election and then to figure out if there are going to be replacements
- Rob, Sharon, Tom, and Andrew are up for election.
- We are going to run an open election to fill all positions up for election.
- Ernie: we need to make sure members know about the opportunity to run.
- Elaine raised idea of having signs announcing elections.
- Dave M recommends we make MORE signs and have information about joining MORE.
- Ernie believes sending personalized emails to all members is important with respect to board elections
- Dave M notes that we have not filled some of our officer/staff positions that are non-board official positions. These include bike shop liaison, grant manager, etc, which board members have absorbed.
- Ernie supports this idea because people are looking for leadership positions that are good starting positions.
- Dave M recommends having a discussion in September about what positions we want to have to get people to step up.
- Rob indicates we should mention this is Trailhead news with plenty of time prior to elections. Supports bringing this back up in September with a list of position to come up with a communication plan to get the information out there.
- Elaine believes this is a good way to get new members involved
- MORE Trails Event (All)
- We have launched alternate event for MoCo to get people on trails, explore, and raise funds for trails
- Will open registration this weekend, for $30. Everyone gets a t-shirt and raffle ticket and invite to Ride w/ GPS event
- Routes are from all over area
- Rides from 3 miles to 35 miles. We need to think about rating them.
- People will go out over 9 weekends (September 1 through October 31)
- We will do raffles based on registration. We are also going to do locally themed raffles for people who ride specific areas.
- There will be recognition for most miles, etc., and raffles based on number of rides.
- The goal is to fill the void of canceled events
- We want to connect with riders, support the community, and fill the void of MoCo
- Another point is to make sure there are family friendly and more challenging routes. The goal is to get people out there.
- Concerned about fees for online merchant platform
- Peggy pointed out we are going to bulk print shirts so no fees for print on demand
- How is the raffle going to work?
- Peggy: we will export everyone and randomize the winner
- Discussion about additional prizes to get people to participate
- Dave M
- This has been a key driver of memberships
- We need to drive membership through this event
- General discussion of how to drive membership via event
- General consensus that Peggy is delegated all authority on event
- Ernie wants to use the event to get people involved with MORE and grow them into members, volunteers and donors
- Fall Camping Trip (Sharon)
- Event is live.
- Event is on Bike Reg. It’s self-support camping trip.
- Participants will get an email with instructions about what the show up, what to bring (waiver) and we’ll have someone there to collect them
- 18 adults and 8 kids have signed up
- 11 cabin rentals signed up
- We will put out trail maps
- Dave B: Asked if numbers are down due to COVID
- Don’t know, but most members sign up near the end of the sign-up period
- Ernie stated Sharon and Phil are doing a good job.
- Possible Trail Ambassadors Program (Ernie)
- Ties into what we were talking about earlier regarding unfilled positions
- Peggy and Ernie got an email from someone who wants to do outreach and grow membership
- David B asked if MORE has ever sponsored a rider or team
- Ernie: we’ve done a SMOREs team, but that’s it.
- Electronic Waivers Pilot Update (David B)
- Concerned about workload and having people do too much
- Consensus to keep trials going
- Maryland (Dave M.)
- Discovery Montgomery Challenge (Peggy)
- Putting up signs in parks for event
- Longest ride over 13 miles
- Providing GPS tracks and MoCo is providing signs and marketing.
- MORE is on the posters.
- Virginia (Tom)
- Looking for graduated skills park to get people ready to ride at Fountainhead
- Night Rides (Rob)
- Night ride season is approaching. Spoke to Eric Crawford about it. Eric questioned whether we would use a different platform this year.
- Discovery Montgomery Challenge (Peggy)
- Maryland (Dave M.)
- Trailhead News (Rob)
- We need to think about putting this out sometime in September.
- Peggy asked all BOD members to indicated whether we should have more or less information in Trailhead news
- Sharon: We should cover what’s going on and what we have to offer
- Dave M: More
- Dave B: More
- Tom: More (but short info with links to more)
- Neil: agrees with Tom.
- Peggy: More information at a higher level, but also bring in information about broader initiatives of group
- Mauricio: Supports one pager with links
- Elaine: Wants to share pages with information on trail conditions
- Rob: Supports a few more topics with links to articles and things on website. Supports providing people with tips about how to figure out trail conditions before they go out and ride.
July 2020 Activity Reports
President – Ernest (Ernie) Rodriguez
- Finalized MORE's 2019 Annual Report with Neil, Dave, Andrew and Peggy
- Worked with Andrew to order and have received printed copies of 2019 Annual Report
- Participated in Mastenbrook grant review
- Participated on VA/DC liaisons zoom call
- Worked with Peggy, Dave and Montgomery County Parks to plan Discover Montgomery County Virtual Ride series
- Sent "Thank you" notes to trail donors
- Supporting Peggy with Youth Advisory Council
- Executive Director – Peggy Flaxman
- Coordinated with Martin on workday support for LS
- IMBA Local Call with membership highlights
- Webinar on "Expanding and Strengthening Partnerships and Engagement Through Mountain Biking" (American Trails)
- Resubmitted Mastenbrook Grant
- Worked with Ernie and Andrew on finalization of Annual Report
- Cancelled Youth Advisory Trail Day due to weather
- Continued work with Montgomery Parks on Discovery Montgomery Project. To date we’ve supplied 21 routes, coordinated with graphics and communications teams. Kickoff set for 8/18 with sign installation beginning 8/8/2020.
- Cancelled MoCo Epic
- Developed alternate event plans to include 40 routes throughout the DMV for riders to explore between September 1 and October 31
Coordinated with Eric Crawford re: both virtual TrailFest and virtual Epic event
- Working on sponsors for donations and prizes (raffles)
- Working with RWGPS to create an event which will allow Leaderboards for routes
- Working with Dave Magill and liaisons to create a variety of routes
- Working with Martin/Dave Beugelmans on possibly using Shopify andmore-mtb.org website for “donations” instead of using a paid site for donations.
- Continued fulfillment for donor at $100 and above
- Attended Mt Vernon Workday
- Met with Stephanie Piperno (Capital Trails Coaltion, WABA)
- Updated website to include “Group Rides” page, with updates to sMORE’s and Women’s page content and design
- Created Distro List for Women’s Program/Ride Leaders
Worked with Todd Keller on letter to Congressman Beyer in support of GAOA
- Working with Elaine on new park flier
Vice President – David Beugelmans
- Substantial coordination and planning re: MORE Trails event
- Coordinate and plan for print on demand mud fenders fundraiser
MD Advocacy Director – Dave Magill
- Obtained all approvals for $33k change order to Pax trailbuild contract and executed the amendment
- Worked with Kathy Mihm on new Southwest MoCo maps, reviewed same with DNR and MoCo Parks
- Organizational emails to SCSP mowing and trimming team, trimmed portions of Powerline trail
- Worked on Discover Montgomery rides and signs
- Supported Peggy on planning for MORETrails virtual event
VA Advocacy Director – Tom Howe
- Worked with Peggy and the Wakefield Crew to update the Mastenbrook Grant Application based on questions and feedback from FCPA
- Proposed motion via email to authorize payment for the trail build as completed by Ironwood Outfitters for Phase II of Locust Shade ; Motion passed unanimously
- Coordinating with Peggy and the Wakefield Crew on rescheduling the Youth Advisory Trail Day at Wakefield Park
- Trail Work Day at Wakefield Park
- Trail Work Day at Locust Shade
- Ad Hoc Trail Work at Wakefield Park and Locust Shade
- Held Monthly VA/DC Liaisons Zoom Call w/ liaisons from Mount Vernon District Park, Meadowood, Fountainhead, Lake Fairfax Park, and Wakefield
Trail Boss – Mauricio Carvalho
Membership Director – Rob Lowe
- July Membership Processing (Thank You's and Reminders to June 2020, etc).
- June Membership Report
- Expanded Membership Reporting in Prep for July/August 2020 Bod Meeting
- Trail Work at WF and Accotink
Communications Director – Andrew Melito
- Worked on the annual report and mud fenders.
Treasurer – Neil Blake
- Worked on the forecast for the full year 2020. I will provide more detail in the board meeting.
- Attended a planning call for a meeting on 8/7/20 with the trails manager for Arlington County
- Prepared the books and records
Activities Director – Sharon Maloid
- Together with Phil vanWerkhoven established the parameters for the Fall Camp Trip
- Drafted language for social medial push and provided to Peggy to launch event promotion
- Managed initial issues with BikeReg information